Old February 16th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Digital TV Antenna Design

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:59:13 -0800 (PST), Bill Bowden
wrote:

Anybody have a good antenna design for the new UHF digital TV
stations?

I get reasonable results from my old VHF/UHF antenna (55% signal
strength) , but it's big and ugly, and I want to replace it with a
smaller, more efficient UHF design (maybe a Yagi) I can construct at
home.

Rule of thumb: The bigger and uglier the antenna, the better it works.

Anybody know the dimensions of such an antenna,

Various commercial digital TV antennas:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
with Eznec NEC2 files at:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/SIMS/

probabaly in the
frequency range of 400-800 Mhz ?

There are going to be some DTV stations in the VHF range. You might
want to check the new channels for your area:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-138A2.xls
List of frequencies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_broadcast_television_frequencies
Note that the upper end of the UHF TV band will be channel 51 at
698Mhz.

EXACTLY, after conversion, some VHF stations will return as Digital, a
few low-band and many high-band

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv