Old February 16th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default vertical over real ground

Roy Lewallen wrote:

Yes again. Manufacturers discovered long ago that hams like antennas
that are small, broadband and quiet. No problem -- small coils, small
wire, and bingo -- the ideal antenna. Rotten efficiency, but I've heard
countless hams over the years fussing and bragging about low SWR, and
nary a one who said a word about efficiency. Fortunately most hams don't
realize how many QSOs you can have with a watt or two of radiated power,
otherwise they'd be more concerned that that's all they're getting with
their 100 watt rig.

I haven't been able to compare my setup with one of the small systems,
but I have to think that it was worth th eeffort. It's anecdotal of
course, but signal reports have been pretty good.

I really must post a picture somewhere some time. It's a true
monstrosity on a little Suzuki Vitara. My biggest regret is that a lot
of people just *have* to come over to talk to me while I'm stopped and
operating. Law enforcement is also interested - every one who has
stopped to talk to me has been friendly but intrigued. A guy from the
Fish and Game commission is going after his license now. The regret is
that it can take away from operating time. 8^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -