Old February 17th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Which is faster, text or Morse Code?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
SX-25 wrote:
No, you've got no idea what you are talking about. I am seriously into
CW...have been for 40 years and computer generated junk only plagues the
bands about 1 % of the time, probably more when the contest idiots are on
there exchanging their meaningless signal reports and drivel.

That's because the digital stuff (except for PSK31) is in the high end of
the band, and CW is in the low end. For example, on 40m, the CW tends
to be around 7.025 mHz, while the digital tends to be at 7.070 to 7.100
mHz, right in the middle of the audio portion of the band on this side of
the world.

We have some hope in a few years, because although we can legally use 7.100
to 7.200 mHz, if there is any propigation at all it's filled with s-meter
pegging SWBC stations. The SWBC is supposed to leave, but that remains to be
seen.

In the US, it's all the 40m CW band, so it looks the same to you, but how
often do you work CW at 7.070 up?

Geoff.

I do psk31 on 7.070, except during contests. The 41m SWBC isn't so bad
here on the West Coast.