Old February 17th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Drake 2A Passband Tuner Issue

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message
m...

My R4-B is similar. Following the instructions gets it
usable but certainly not symmetrical. I have not yet
gotten at this in depth partly because I don't have a
sweep oscillator and I think one is probably necessary to
tune this thing properly.
If you don't know the history of your RX (meaning
bought it new) its quite possible someone else tried
tuning it. Also, perhaps there was a little mechanical
drift in the permeability tuned coils. I wish there was
more service information available for Drake stuff. I am
about to undertake fixing what I _think_ is a problem in
the balanced modulator of a T-4XB, acts like there may be
a bad diode. There is a Drake mailing list. I joined it
but after getting a confirming message there has been no
traffic whatever.

Hi Richard,
Join the Drakeradio Yahoo group- active and a lot of
knowledge.
You may be able to use Spectrogram 16 to characterize your
filter. Disable the AGC, no antenna, adjust the AF Gain
for a usable trace, and run Spectrogram 16 in the peak
hold mode- after several minutes, you'll have a nice plot
of the filter characteristics.

Dale W4OP

I am a member but your suggestion caused me to check the
web site. I found it was not set to send me e-mail. That's
why there seemed to be no activity. I re-set it. I also
checked other Yahoo groups I belong to and found another
that was not set right.
I downloaded the Spectrogram program and will try it.
However, I think a sweeper would be more useful for tuning.
I can do this the "old fashioned way" by plotting the
response curve, that's a bit of a PITA but it doesn't have
to be done often. That is on the back burner since the RX
works pretty well as it is and getting the TX working right
is of higher priority.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL