Old February 19th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Highland Ham[_2_] Highland Ham[_2_] is offline

Default AC/DC radio filter cap source?

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
What's a good place to get some good ones, reasonable? I've got
several AA5 radios with hum and need to fix them. All my new old stock
capacitors are dry.
thanks
Hank wd5jfr

Suggest you look for good electrolytic caps in scrap (not too old) PC
SMPS units . I have removed quite a few of adequate capacitance and
working voltage to be used in valve (tube) type radio ,assuming AA5
radios are of the tube variety.
When removed from scrap equipment , it is best to slowly cycle them
(charge/discharge) a few times up to the stated working voltage .
If necessary test them in a real equivalent circuit and check ripple
with a scope . A bit of work ,but imho a rewarding activity.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH