Old February 18th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SX-25 SX-25 is offline

Default Which is faster, text or Morse Code?

It is pretty apparent that most of you who have replied to this thread don't
have a clue when it comes to
Morse transmissions.

Without my wasting a lot of time, very little amateur radio CW is sent using
a straight key; generally that
is something only beginners or those with little code expertise use. The
"straight key" CW that one respondent was hearing on CB....huh? Is he also
hearing other voices in his head?

As for the digital modes, PSK etc...they have long populated the upper
portions of the CW bands, even after the FCC and the
arrl chopped it up. Compared to the remainder of the band there is very
little digital going on either. I know because I too have
a digital converter for listening to more interesting things than hams
essentially sending emails to each other. And the activity just tain't thar,
cowboy! The similarity between digital hamming and just sending email is the
reason that digital is not a raging wildfire as some of you would like to
think (probably because you rushed out and wasted good money on the gadgetry
that appeals to beginners. So you actually BELIEVE the hype you read in
those ads?

If you tune 80 meters any night you hear mostly bug and electronically sent
CW...not computer generated CW, which is interesting because CW Morse is
actually a digital mode in and of itself although the techno types don't
wish to admit it.

It will also irritate you anti-CW types (who I am sure are behind most of
the comments on this thread) to learn that the US NAVY has reinstituted
training in CW. And the MARS radio system just last month announced it was
re-establishing CW traffic nets.

Smokey