Old February 21st 09, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] maxpowervk@yahoo.com.au is offline

Default 40m Vertical Question

I have been toying with the idea of putting up a 40M vertical antenna.
I have an inverted vee up at 40 feet high but it doesn't seem much
good for hearing European stations. I put up a temporary 40m vertical
today and heard alot more stations than on my inverted vee. I have a
steel shed with a zincalum roof with an area of about 320 square feet.
If I was to mount a 40m quarter wave vertical on that roof area would
I have an adequate ground plane? Or, am I better off ground mounting
it and running out radials? Or for something completely different, how
would I go if I erected an 80m loop at about 30 feet high? I have
tried to reorientate the inverted vee to better capture European
stations but it doesn't seem to help, hence I am looking at other
ideas. Any information gratefully accepted.
Cheers
Max