Old February 22nd 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Edward Knobloch Edward Knobloch is offline

Default Johnson Viking II meter needed

brittmontero wrote:
I am looking to buy the meter that is on the front panel of a Johnson
Viking II. I bought the radio on Ebay and kind of got ripped off since
it has no meter. It is for a birthday gift for my husband. I am not a
ham myself and have very limited knowledge so I am throwing myself on
the mercy of you kind folks and hope that someone can help me. I hope
this is the correct place for this posting and apologize if it is not.
Thank you!

Scott Dorsey wrote:
You're in the right place.... but... the bad news is that if the
meter is missing, odds are that other stuff is missing too.

I'd first contact the guy on Ebay.... if he said it was in good shape
and the picture in the ad showed a meter, you have a right to a machine
in good shape with a meter. snip

Here is the ebay ad she bought from (I'm guessing):
It shows no meter, and was advertised as a "project" radio
by RadioMart -
http://tinyurl.com/d6xlg4

I think she's out of luck in pursuing the seller,
the photo shows no meter present.
It looks pretty complete, although the missing 807 tubes
may be a bad sign. The price was OK for its condition,
I believe, assuming the transformers are good.

Note: do +not+ plug this in to see if it lights up!
It will require some preliminary testing by a ham to ensure that
the power supply capacitors aren't shorted due to age, etc., to avoid
unnecessary damage. It may not have been powered up for 40 years.

73,
Ed Knobloch