Old September 17th 03, 05:00 PM
Active8

In article ,
says...
In article t,
Active8 wrote:

In article ,
says...
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...ticleID=609108

I've always assumed that the performance of ferrite-rod antennas in
transmitting applications was limited by core saturation. Wonder if
there's anything to this "invention"?

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

not much info there, but i've read articles about russian experiments on
small antennae and something about a capacitive antenna.

somewhere in the jumble, i came across a theory/claim supposedly
originated by Nikolai Tesla. the theory being that applying a large
voltage - low freq. ac, dc... i don't remember - to a short antenna
would set up an electrically large antenna by virtue of the electric
field.

say you applied 1000V to a 1m whip. that's 1000V/m. or it's 1V/m over a
length of 1000m effective antenna length. that's the theory... key word
"theory".

You're misusing the word "theory." You mean hypothesis. I know, I know,
I'm nitpicking. But I once was chewed out by a physicist at MIT for
misusing the word when I was temping there. Ouch.

Al

PS:

theory - a proven fact which explains an aspect of nature; i.e., the
Theory of Relativity.

hypotheses - A tentative explanation that accounts for a set of facts
and must be proven by further experimentation.

yup, it may be nitpicking, but yer right. that was explained on day 1 of
7th grade science.

mike