Old February 25th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default Bolivianos

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

The words for "radio station" such as emisora, difusora,
radiodifusora, radio, estación, estación de radio, are all
feminine. The programming does not affect the gender of the noun.

I was just joking.

Ah, the key defect of the internet... it does not convey emotion or
tone any too well!

The norm is to name objects like ships and storms in the feminine for
people speaking english. Looks like the same is true for spanish
speaking people.

It is a little more complex. This is not a custom or tradition, but simply
agreement with the gender of each noun. "Car" is "carro" or "auto" or
"automóvil" or "coche" and all are masculine. Mexican made cars are "coches
mexicanos." Chairs are sillas, and silla is feminine... so Colombian made
chairs are sillas colombianas. The adjective follows the noun, and the noun
has an invariable gender. Radio stations, and all the terms used for that
single English term, are all feminine, so a Bolivian radio station is an
emisora boliviana. Many stations are emisoras bolivianas.

Interestingly, there are two meanings for the word "radio." "Una radio" is a
radio station, as I could say in the morning "me voy para la radio" which
means "I am going to the station." Yet "un radio" is a radio receiver, where
the understood "radio receptor" is masculine. So "tengo un radio para
escuchar la radio" means "I have a radio set on which I can hear radio
(stations)"

Just like we have radio and the Brits had wireless and we had tubes and they
had valves, a radio station in Spanish can be a difusora, emisora,
radiodifusora, radio emisora, estación de radio, radio estación and, simply,
radio.