Old February 25th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Yes,They had 45 rpm Car Players...

Bob Dobbs wrote:

rtc wrote:
The 45 rpm car record players were mostly made by Automatic Radio; some
were made by an RCA subsidiary. They actually worked amazingly well as
far as tracking the records, and sounded quite good playing through the
tube-type car radios. But they were real record-eaters since the pickup
arm was spring-loaded to keep the stylus in contact with the record
groove during typical highway vibration. The pressure on the records
was in ounces, not grams.

Chrysler made the first car players in the late 1950s; their system was
called "Hi-Way Hi-Fi." The name was somewhat of a misnomer since the
records rotated at 16 2/3 rpm. The wow and flutter was pretty bad, plus
you were limited to a repertoire of proprietary records you could only
buy from your Chrysler-Plymouth-DeSoto-Dodge dealer.

I don't remember the car players, but the 16 2/3 records were commonly
referred to as blind readers and most turntable/players back then had
that speed, helped me slow down the AMECO code records to learn it for
my novice ticket.
Were those car player records the full size LP like blind readers,
or were they the standard 45 bee-bop size?

The ones I recall seeing played 45's.

dxAce
Michigan
USA