Old September 18th 03, 10:32 PM
W3JDR

Leif,

Does anyone know a source for these chipts whithin the EU?

I believe you can purchase them from the Analog Devices Web site. Don't know
if that works outside the US though.

I have some directional couplers without detectors that could easily be

combined with this chip.
Do you really need a directional coupler? How about just driving the load
through a known resistor
and measuring the voltage & phase shift across the unknown?

Your idea to use a PC to control the radio as a source seem interesting.

The only drawback would be the size
of all the stuff you need to bring into the garden when measuring.

I suggested the station rig as a source because it already has a
programmable frequency generator for any frequency the ham is likely
to need to measure...why reinvent it? On the other hand, it's easy these
days to build a DDS frequency source that works into the VHF range.
Used laptop PC's are plentiful and cheap, and have great computational and
display facilities. I was thinking of a small module that works
with the station PC or a laptop.

Joe
W3JDR