Old March 2nd 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default VHF static

On Mar 2, 2:45*pm, wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I have head that various types of precipitation can cause static and
have seen it to some extent but last night I think I witnessed it
nearly wiped out air ground communications at a major airport when a
snow storm passed through the area. The static could be heard on over
50 receivers most of which had their own antenna. Is this possible.

Jimmie

Yes.

Aviation uses AM, so yes you can hear percipitation static and lightning
noise and when airborne you can hear it from a long way away.

Though generally if the static is really bad you have bigger issues
to be concerned about than radio noise.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

We dont generallty have a problem with P static during rain but the
snow, if that wwas the cause was, breaking the squelch on the
receivers. Normally the squelch is set to break at 2uVs. I adjusted
the squelch on a rx until it just blanked while listening to the noise
then measured the amount of signal from a generator that it would take
to breal squelch. The level was about 40uV and the level was
continuous for the duration of the storm. Does snow normallly cause
more of a static problem than rain? Living in the SOuth snow isnot
something I have a lot of experience with.

Jimmie