Old March 11th 09, 10:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob Bob Bob is offline

Default Polarization Loss?

Fun stuff!

I actually found this behaviour in experimentation (or rather I noted
what was already in the theory books). I was looking at mobile FM ops on
70cm and had found that horiz polarization yielded a much lesser
peak/null phase addition problem ("picket fencing") than on vertical
(the antenna aperture being wider in the horiz plane). I went to
circular in an attempt to test if there was a large enough component of
major polarization shift from multpile refectections, and promptly lost
most of the first reflection. On the whole it was about a 3dB loss
(9-12dB having been the horiz vs vert improvement) but that was very
terrain amd obstruction dependent.

It was a pity because the mobile antenna looked real trendy! (A skew
planar loop)

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Clifford Heath wrote:
Bob Bob wrote:
Be aware that in a reflective/multipath environment you get a
polarization reversal.

Interesting thought. That means that with two antennas,
one clockwise and one ccw, you could adaptively mix the
two signals to cancel the 1st reflections.

Clifford Heath.