Old March 13th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JIMMIE[_2_] JIMMIE[_2_] is offline

Default Magnetic Amplifiers

On Mar 13, 5:54*am, raypsi wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

I would like to experiment with some magnetic amplifier circuits but I
havent been able to find any practical circuits I could build. I am
interested in relalitively small signal amplification of *AF and
possibly ultrasonic frequencies purely for educational purpose. I have
a couple of transformers and wan to see what I can do with them.

Jimmie

Hey OM:

I can see a great linear amp antenna output switch. I've been looking
for a cheap way to switch all that power and vacuum relays I don't
have in my junk box. I do have some T200's and FT240's. Using a small
DC voltage to saturate the core on and off, making the output coil
switch from a milli ohm resistance to thousands of ohms of impedance.
Sweet.
I know mag amps were used in audio applications, I can see a QRP rig
with no transistors or tubes. Using just toroids.
73 OM

de n8zu

My experience with them has been limited to pulse amplifiers but I was
under the impression that they could also be used in a linear mode, at
least it seems I heard that some where. It would be neat to have a
stereo amp with no tubes or transistors. As far as QRP goes I dont
think they work well above 1 Mhz but that was best info I had 40 years
ago. With new core mixes it may be possible.

Jimmie