Old March 15th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Antonio Vernucci Antonio Vernucci is offline

Default Paper capacitor and Hallicrafters S-40A notes

Turns out to be a couple of misplaced decimal points. First of all I
mis-typed, the measured value is 0.048uf, not 4.8uf. Recalculating I get:

As a matter of fact a value of 4.8uF seemed real odd to me.

Oh, Yikes! I did it again. The correct measured value of the capacitor is
0.048 uf, D = 0.3

I calculate:

C parallel = 0.044 uf
R (AC) series = 995 ohms
R (AC) parallel = 12050 ohms
Xc, at 1000 hz = 3315 ohms

Someone please check this.

Your calculations seem correct to me (assuming that by Xc you mean the reactance
of Cs and not that of Cp, which is 3,617 ohm).

At this point, one would still have to explain how a capacitor marked 0,02 uF
can grow up to 0,044 uF, that is more than twice its value.

Before formulating hypotheses (e.g. that the plates of the capacitor are closer
together than originally because of loss of the wax impregnan) I would rather
try to reconfirm the measurement results.

Measuring the resistance of the capacitor by means of a plain digital ammeter,
do you obtain a value close enough to 12 kohm? Repeating the measurement on a
different scale, do you obtain similar results? My experience with lossy
capacitors is that the apparent Rp varies quite a lot with the scale.

Also it would be useful to repeat the test with the GR set at a diffierent
frequency (should this be possible).

73

Tony I0JX