Old September 21st 03, 07:45 PM
Ashhar Farhan

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message

It sounds like the stage might be oscillating at some very high frequency.
A specturm analyzer, lightly coupled to the output circuit would show that.
I know that it is not easy to get ahold of a spectrum analyzer most of the
time, but maybe you could do some research on neutralizing circuits. I
think that you have some sort of feedback path, maybe internal to the device
itself.

Pete

well, i found out that the antenna was the culprit. although i dont
know why. i took the rig to a friend who had a two element yagi on his
rooftop. he was using an FT-757. we pulled the antenna out of the
Ft-757 and connected it to my rig. he put on the headphones and
started to say "the rig is dead...." when he nearly spilled his
coffee. as he tuned the rig, dx kept piling out of a virtually silent
background. only when u pulled out the antenna, could u realise that
the background noise WAS there. i guess using an uncluttered
front-end, single stage IF and dropping AGC makes for fidelity in a
communication receiver.

about the noise ... i think that the antenna was picking up noise due
to line current. that is the best explanation i have. now i am going
to install a windom at 40 feet tommrow. lets check how that fares