Old March 15th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce[_19_] dxAce[_19_] is offline

Default Russia may base bombers in cuba

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Monitoring opportunities?

http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/art...1&aid=29691183
(via SmokeyKat, MilCom list)

That photo sure brings back memories. I remember those boys buzzing
us from time to time just above the deck and a few hundred feet away.
We'd wave at each other!

Later, I remember monitoring them as they transited along the east
coast USA, sending position reports in Russian Morse. At the time
there was an article in either PopCom or Monitoring Times giving
details on how to decode those posit reports.

I guess boredom set in after hundreds of hours flying and they got to do
something exciting. That had to be quite a sight with a bomber that
close. How fast do you think they were traveling when they flew by you?

Not terribly fast, at least at the time. I'd guess 150 to 200 MPH. There were
several of them in most cases. Quite the site.

An interesting aircraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95