Old March 17th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Donaly Tom Donaly is offline

Default colinear representation in NEC

Owen Duffy wrote:
K7ITM wrote in
:

Yes--and then if they were exactly equal, would that not imply only
transmission line current on the stub? Obviously, they are exactly

Thinking some more about it, my current thinking is that my analysis was
flawed. I was using the standing wave currents, when I should be using
the travelling wave components.

I suspect that when NEC models the conductor arrangement at my fig a), it
correctly accounts for propagation delay and the phase relationships
compute correctly.

If we replace the stub with a TL element, I suspect that NEC reduces the
TL to a two port network and loads a segment of the vertical with an
equivalent steady state impedance of the s/c stub network. If that is
done, the reduction to a lumped load means that there is zero delay to
travelling waves, and the computed currents (amplitude and phase) in the
vertical will be incorrect. This means that you cannot replace a resonant
stub with a high value of resistance, it doesn't work.

If that is the case, it suggests that NEC cannot model such phasing
schemes using TL elements.

Owen

Why would NEC reduce a TL two-port to a lumped load? Two-port
parameters can handle transmission line problems quite well without
the simplifying assumption that all components are of zero length.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH