Old March 21st 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default (OT) WiFi Antenna.

In article
,
wrote:

On Mar 20, 3:20*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
*Geary Morton wrote:

What are you guys doing with those antennas?

I use it to shoot my network signal over to my neighbor's house. *We
split the DSL bill. *Signal is 'okay' with a Dr. Bott antenna, but this
should do even better. *I've also seen homemade directional WiFi
antennas using a tin can, but I'm lazy!

A corner reflector / Yagi type would be a good distance antenna. Very
directional with good gain depending on the number of elements with a
simple match to a driver dipole element. Most just use a one element
reflector so you lose off the back end.

Too much directivity for WiFi would not be good unless you were aiming
for a link between two distant stationary points. If you just want to
"splash" your WiFi out over a wide area, neighbors house for example,
high gain with a broad lobe would be better - I.E. flat panel.

I agree with your statement but I think the OP was looking for an
extended link. The encryption level better be high if one was to spread
the wifi signal around.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California