Old March 22nd 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default B&W 5100, SX-101 combo

"Unca Pete" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Mar 22, 3:24 pm, "Unca Pete"
wrote:
Any comments, just ended up owning these two
boatanchors...

Welcome to the double hernia club, Pete!! I got a 5100 in
an estate
sale 7 or 8 years ago and decided since I couldn't lift
it, I didn't
need it. I sold it without ever trying it out. It had
the sideband
box bolted on the side and weighed a ton. --Ed

Hi Ed! From what I'm reading on the net, the 5100 is a
keeper.
That SSB adapter is rare, rare... Wish one came with mine.
But,
the Heath SB-10 could be made to work, I guess.

Don't have a lot of room, so some of the wood beasts have
to!
Not too sure on the SX-101, have you played with one? Not
overly fond of the Hallicrafters RX line on this end...

Pete

I can't comment on the 5100 or the RX but I have and
used a B&W SSB adaptor on a different transmitter. It works
like a charm and I hope to put it back in service again some
time.
There were two versions, one with a built-in power
supply, and another which was meant to be used with the
5100B which supplied the power. Presumably the PS version
would also work with the 5100B. The handbook has
instructions for modifying several of the popular low power
transmitters of the time.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA