Old September 24th 03, 11:03 PM
mcalhoun

....[snip]....
I've read suggestions for resistors ranging from 2.2 k ohms to 56 k
ohms all the way up to 100 k ohms. The most recent information being
the lowest value resistors. From the schematics I have seen, the
resistors were placed in parralel between the antenna input and ground
input. Or in the case of a two wire unbalanced input, between each
wire and the case of the tuner which is grounded.

It just depends on how much power you want to "waste" in the paralleled
resistor. Think of it this way: IF you had a 50-ohm dipole antenna and
you used a 50-ohm resistor across the antenna (and ignoring the effect
of a 25-ohm load on your xmtr), half of your power go into the antenna
proper and half would be dissipated in the resistor.

That's probably too much, so try a 500-ohm resistor: now about 90% of
your xmtr power goes into the antenna and 10% into the resistor.

One more try: 5K-omn resistor: now about 99% goes into the antenna and
1% is wasted in the resistor.

This leads to one of the "rules of thumb" from a beginning EE class oh-
so- many years ago: the power loss from paralleling a 100*R-ohm resistor
with an R-ohm resistor is essentially negligible.

There is another GOOD effect of using any resistor across your feed line:
a simple ohm-meter check from inside the shack can tell you if your feed
line is intact!

--Myron, W0PBV.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTX). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448