Old March 29th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Passaneau John Passaneau is offline

Default solarcon I-max 2000

Andy wrote:
Hi all

I have a Solarcon I-max 2000 for 10 metes.

My question is about the ground plain legs. Would it work any different if
the ground plain legs were horizontal rather than on a downward angle?

The bracket that came with it is rusted badly and it would be easer for me
to mount them horizontal on a new home made bracket.

Thanks

Hi Andy:

I don't know much about that antenna, but drooping the radials, (ground
legs) is a common way to raise the impedance of the antenna.
Most ground plane antennas resonate impedance is less than 50 ohms and
drooping the ground radials raises the impedance up to 50 ohms. The 2
best ways to find it out is:
1 model the antenna in software
2 try it and find out what happens.

I vote for no. 2 as it's Ham radio at it's best.

John W3JXP