Old April 6th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Hallicrafter's Tour on Film

"JB" wrote in message
I found a tour of the Hallicrafter's plant on line.
This is a WW-2 propaganda film, dated 1944 and titled
"Voice
of Victory". In two parts at http://www.archive.org
It has considerable detail on the construction of
the
BC-610 and shows some other products in somewhat less
detail.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

My bet is they didn't need always need a heater in the
back of the SCR266.
Interesting to see all the dollies and come-alongs used in
production.

Also tons of other neat-o screen gems at that site. A
keeper.

I looked at the film again and see what you mean by the
dollies, etc. I didn't realize the first time how much hand
work was done. I didn't see a single power tool of any sort,
the closest was a "Yankee" screwdriver. Undoubtedly there
were power tools elsewhere but they didn't seem to be used
for assembly.
BTW, the ham radio scene near the opening is one of the
few representations of ham radio on film that is not
laughable. I did notice the absense of a clock, the fellow
checks the time on his watch. Perhaps deliberately so that
there would be no problems with the clock jumping around
between shots.
Jam Handy Films, who made this epic, was based in
Detroit and produced a lot of industrials for General
Motors, particularly the Chevrolet division, some of which
are on this site.
They did all right, except when they tried to emulate
Hollywood, as in the montage at the end of this film.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles