Old April 7th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Roger Basford Roger Basford is offline

Default Hallicrafter's Tour on Film

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Roger Basford wrote:
I did try to ID the W9WZE operator in the clip - it's not Bill Halligan -
any ideas? One suggestion I had was that he was one of the senior
engineers
working for the company. I didn't notice any date on the captions, so if
that is a post-1941 film then the operating session would have surely
been
staged, as Ham Radio had shut down, so maybe it was done by using
recordings
of the other stations?

Although the ham at the other end called him Bill, if you say it was not
Halligan, I'll take your word for it. A little later in the film he and
another man are identified as Bill Halligan and someone else, whose name
I did not catch.

I assume if you actualy know what Halligan looked like (I don't) you can
tell them apart and if you are careful at listening for names, you can
figure it out.

BTW, did anyone notice the one serious flaw in their design? It was
designed
according to the film to work using standard 117 volt household
electricity.
A gasoline generator was included as an addon (a trailer) that provided
it.

AFAIK they were never used in combat in a place that had 117 volt AC
power.

I know that Europe had 220 or 240 volt power, what did the pacific areas
have?

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

The guy with the glasses in the scene in the office is Halligan, that's
where they are looking at the drawings and also inside the RF deck. The
other chap in the ham station part looks different. I suppose it didn't
matter if it was a staged scene.

I suppose that during training in the US there might have been times when
domestic 117 V AC was available but in the Pacific they probably used
domestic power supplies of the colonial power, so British standard for
Australia, Malaya and the British-administered islands, Dutch for what we
now call Indonesia and possibly US standard for the Philippines? In Europe
220-240 60Hz is the standard now but I don't know about WWII, the UK still
had areas using 220 V DC at that time.

There's an interesting article on the SCR-399 in Russian service here -
http://www.w9wze.net/df.php?dn=Featu...hall_Zhukov.wp

Cheers,

Roger/G3VKM