Old April 7th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Roger Basford Roger Basford is offline

Default Hallicrafter's Tour on Film

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

Roger Basford - G3VKM - Norfolk, England.

The ham radio session was almost certainly staged. Old call books would
identify the station. I wonder if any library has a collection of them,
perhaps the ARRL does.
Bill Halligan is the fellow behind the desk in the scene where the
modifications to the HT-4 are being discussed.
I was wondering how many of these rigs were made, where did you get the
statistics?

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Hi Richard,

The topic of BC-610 numbers came up on the WS19 group on Yahoo recently and
someone supplied the following:-

"During the period 1 Jan. 1940 through 31 December 1945 the US Government
purchased 14,706 of the SCR-299, 399 and 499 sets.

Practically speaking, deliveries did not start until 1942, when 1571 sets
were
delivered. In 1943, 5,911 were delivered, in 1944 another 5,317 sets, and
in
1945: 1,907. This does not count the HT-4 versions delivered for testing
before
the creation of the BC-610, and I believe there were sets purchased and
delivered after 1945 as well, for use in assorted AN/MRC- numbered
communications
vans, up through the Korean War period.

I don't know whether there were any lend-lease contracts for these sets. If
there were, those numbers probably would not be included in the above".

Can't recall who posted that but it was someone in the US.

Hallicrafters also re-badged the BC-610 as the HT-4 after WWII, probably to
clear stocks, I have a manual for one. By the time the Korean War came
along, dealers over here were offering good prices to buy back '610s and
ET4336s that had been sold to the ham market, in order to resell to the
military - two bites of the cherry.

Roger Basford