Old April 8th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Passaneau John Passaneau is offline

Default Phillystran guy cable material?

MTV wrote:
Any clues on how much better this nonmetallic guy material would be than
equivalent wire rope? How much effect would it have on an HF yagi at the
top of tower up 2-3' on a mast? Would it be worth an extra $50 plus
special end kits?

Also, should wire rope guys be insulated from attachment to the tower?

This is my first tower, a Glen Martin w/Hazer.

Marv
W5MTV

Hi Marv:

The phillystran should be "transparent" to radio waves and should have
no measurable effect on any antenna. Wire rope will have some effect on
antennas. There was an report in QST some years back that had some
measurements on the effects. You may be able to find it on the ARRL web
site.
I think the end kits are required to install Phillystran. I don't think
you can use it just like wire rope.

John Passaneau W3JXP