Old April 8th 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Roger Basford Roger Basford is offline

Default Hallicrafter's Tour on Film

"K3HVG" wrote in message
.. .

The SCR-299/399 were designed to run off 110VAC 60Hz. The PE-95 gas
generator is a 10KW 110v-only unit. I, personally, have never seen a
BC-610 running off 220v. In past discussions with my my Elmer, he
explained that they had SCR-399's on Guam and Saipan and they all ran off
either the PE-95 or "base power" which was 110v 60Hz. Although not a ham,
he was the OIC of the Signal Detachment. Whether the '610 or the
'299/'399 will actually run off 50HZ power, I do not know. The TM's would
seem to indicate not. BTW, the Signal doctrine back then was not to plan
to use, nor depend on, indigenous power sources.

de K3HVG

Hi,

I, and a couple of other British BC-610 owners run our TXs from 50Hz mains,
in my case the domestic 230 V is stepped down to 110V using what is called a
"site transformer" - designed for outdoor power tools. The only drawback I
have noticed is the occasional loud rattling from the antenna relay when it
is powered-up, presumably its AC solenoid coil prefers 60Hz. Running the
whole TX off 220V would mean a swap of all power transformers and
mains-powered relays in the equipment, so IMHO it's much better to use a
step-down transformer of some sort to do the job and give additional shock
protection.

73 de G3VKM