Old April 8th 09, 02:41 PM posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] boardjunkie@techie.com is offline

Default FA: Sencore LC53 Z Meter with Probe and AC Cord # 260388540185

On Apr 8, 2:56*am, wrote:
On Apr 7, 6:24*pm, JP wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 00:09:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 6, 7:15 am, JP wrote:
Put this on Ebay. Real clean unit. It works although I didn't have it
long enough to figure out how to use the coil tester stuff. I bought a
package deal and am separating it up to try and help cover the LC102 I
just bought. If you want to send it in for calibration, Goggle Sioux
Falls on AGA. A tech there just gave out the addy for a company where
this was made that does repairs and calibration a week or so ago.
It is double bubbled and then packed in a larger sturdy box full of
peanuts. Your choice of shipping. Pics show measuring a 100uf
electrolytic cap and set up to do reforming (can take and hour). I
used it to reform that same 100uf cap in just a few minutes. Watch for
an ESR meter, manuals, field calibration unit for the LC53, and other
stuff this week...Thanks for reading *Ebay #260388540185

This is not the tool for reforming lytics. A bench HV supply with a
limiting resistor or a homemade transformer rectifier and light bulb
current limiter (and the resistor) work MUCH better. *The Z Meter is
good for finding bad large value LV lytics and RF coils in switcher
supplies, but NOT HV lytics, HV mica or oil caps or big iron core
inductors. Like most Sencore pieces it is fairly cheaply built and
optimized for TV/VCR guys.

According to the manual it reforms caps.That's my best answer.So where
is the drawing ro schematic of what you are talking about since I am
selling this one?- Hide quoted text -

*It will reform caps but to what voltage?? And it's a very expensive
way to reform caps when all you need is a DC bench supply, commercial
or homebrew. The supply does not need to be regulated or quiet and may
put out almost no current.

*Also to reform lytics you want to warm them up to a higher
temperature. So add on a heat lamp or a box with a light bulb in it.- Hide quoted text -

I have 2 LC77s and they *will* reform lytics up to 1000vdc. Its just a
PITA beacause you have to use the handle to hold the little plunger
thing against the "leakage" button.

***DO NOT*** heat up caps *while reforming*. Its fine to heat them
before to rejuvinate the electrolyte, but let them cool to room temp
before attempting to reform.