Old April 9th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Stray Dog Stray Dog is offline

Default Looking for newer SW receiver with digital tuning

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:28:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: AllenMcB
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.equipment

For the last 40+ years, I've listened to shortwave with the same
receiver, an old Hallicrafters S-108 that I bought when I was 12 years
old.

I recently moved it out to my workshop (making the wife happy to have
it out of the house), hung a 200' longwire antenna through the trees,
and began listening more often than I used to do.

The old radio still sounds good, and it brings the BBC and Havana in
pretty strong, but trying to listen to anything other than the strong
stations is frustrating. The reception drifts, and I never really
know what frequency I've got. I can guess somewhere in the ballpark,
but that's about it.

Yesterday I started looking on ebay for receivers, wanting something
non-portable with digital tuning. I think I'm now more confused than
anything.

I don't need or want anything state of the art or expensive, just
something workable that has better frequency identification.

Any suggestions on what to look for, and maybe just as important,
anything to definitely avoid? Cost is a factor (the economy has gone
downhill here, as well), so buying a new unit is not an option.

I appreciate any suggestions or input y'all can offer.

I bought a Grundig G5 about a year ago from Radio Shack.

About the size of two king size cigarette packages, digital readout, and
almost intuitive to operate with push buttons, and is readout to one kc,
and there is a vernier tuning for SSB and CW. Built in BFO is turned on
and off with a button, and you can tune very accurately. PLL means
basically zero drift. 2 foot telescoping antenna, can pick up almost
anything in HF range. Tunes 150 kc to 29,999 khz. But has a lot of birdies
(but that shouldn't affect much). At the time it was $150 and some places
you can get it for $100. Built in S-meter, etc. Also does FM band as well
as AM and HF. For what it is, I think its a pretty good deal.

What made the deal for me was they had one in a Radio Shack store, with
batteries, and I spent ten minutes playing with it and was able to figure
out how to use it (at the basic level) without reading the manual. Could
not hear much because of all the noise made by all the other junk, but
after I bought one and took it home to quiet home environment, I could
hear just about anything my base ham transciever could hear except for the
weakest signals.