Old April 11th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Holford Dave Holford is offline

Default Visiting EMP Again

"Bushcraftgregg" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 2:40 pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
BC Blazy susan wrote:
By: Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen

Now those are a couple of credible scientific references
aren't they. ;-)

Ya know Blazy,
your grasping for sensationalism represents a fundamental flaw in the
large brained primates we've evolved into, that being a yearning to fill
that space with 'something', however implausible, and with rational
analysis requiring too much effort, it's way more expedient to go for
the glitz and glamor of some far fetched doomsday scenario.
Maybe that's' why there are so many fundamentalist religionists
hell bent on suicidal campaigns of self destruction.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

I'll add, strange to me that you would call that a "doomsday
scenario." Say worse case scenario and it would go down exactly like
the "ones in the know" or the "experts" say....not like Expert Echo
Charlie says.;-)

You think that is a doomsday scenario? Maybe it would be if you
weren't prepared. I have a 74 Pontiac Ventura, my first car, that
wouldn't be impacted by an EMP blast....if indeed it would affect
everything solid state like the "experts" say. So, I would still be
cruising while the SUV's and Hummers and Land Rovers etc. etc. would
be sitting in their driveway. I'd rather it not be my every day car,
but in that situation, no problemo here.

I'd still have four receivers that would not be impacted. I Have more
than enough food and more than enough water and the skills to handle
the food and water if I were to use up all my supplies (which I
doubt). I take it odd that you call that a doomsday scenario, maybe
for the ones that call it far fetched....lol....they would crap their
panties. ;-)

Back in the 70s I remember ads for EMP protected HF antennas in the
professional literature.

Twenty years ago I had a pair of solid-state EMP protected surplus RACAL HF
receivers rated for 5,000volts at the antenna input.

More recently I have been involved in developing Air Traffic Control systems
which were totally solid-state and EMP protected - one system survived two
direct lightning strikes that I witnessed.

And, I had the opportunity to tour a current generation warship a couple of
years ago and was struck by the EMP protection evident throughout the
vessel.

Solid state electronics and high energy pulse protection has come a long way
in the last half century.

Dave