Old April 15th 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default American interpretation

#2 You can't polish a turd and make it a diamond.

But you can roll it in kitty litter and call it a Zagnut!

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Didn't Carl Spackler dig one of those out of a swimming pool
and eat it? :/

Funny you should mention it, that was on TV this past weekend. A true
classic.

"Darling, could you loofah my stretch marks?" I still cringe during
that part.

On the topic:

When I was a little kid, 9 or 10 I think, I had an old cathedral radio
that had shortwave on it. Found it in the attic.

I wanted to experiment with antennas. First I put the typical short
straight wire on it. Then I saw a science book that had a big dish
antenna on it.

I thought "Wow - if this thing can hear signals from satellites millions
of miles out in space, imagine what it can do with those shortwave signals.

So I made a little dish antenna out of copper wire and aluminum foil,
around a foot in diameter, and put it on top of the radio. It worked,
kinda. Continuing to learn, I found what a longwire antenna could do for
performance.

Point is, some 40 years later, I see something sort of like what I did
as a 9 year old kid being talked about again. I suspect it will work
just about as well now as it did then. Which is to say - not very well.

I had an excuse though.