Old April 15th 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default S-38 Questions about alignment.

"Bill M" wrote in message
Paul P wrote:

Band 2 is the problematic band. It covers 1.650 to 5 MHz. The 5MHz is
the oscillator set point. The padder is to be set at 1.8MHz and does
not even come close with the difference at the 5MHz Osc Trimmer error.
This band is aligned after the 455 IF, BFO and two higher bands are
aligned. After this band is the standard broadcast band.

The padder C11 on band 2 is a variable cap with a postage stamp (domino)
in parallel. I disconnected this parallel cap in hopes of raising the
overall oscillator frequency to align to 5MHz with no success. It
barely made a difference (no big surprise here).

The other bands align properly starting with Band 4, 13.5 - 32 MHz,
band 3, 5 - 14.5 MHz and last
band 1 broadcast.

Are you able to get the 5Mc point set ok?

Sometimes the solution is to fudge on the dial pointer alignment and
see if the other 3 bands can line up. However, if they are spot on now
that might not be the direction to go.

-Bill

Should not have to fudge anything. The top and bottom bands are good so the
Oscillator is good. The 5 mc band is off so there is a bad part connected
to the band switch. Fix or replace. Fudging always makes more problems.

I had an S-120 growing up
http://image08.webshots.com/8/8/80/8...3yhLWvj_fs.jpg
and later, S-38E for show.
http://www.woulfeman.com/Radio%20Hallicrafters.jpg
I was SWL long before I got around to the ham ticket.