Old July 22nd 03, 06:03 PM
Roy Lewallen

I never saw the original posting, but it's been quoted enough that I
think I understand the original question.

The E and H fields might very well be out of time phase near the
antenna. And very close to the antenna (within a pretty small fraction
of a wavelength), the magnitude of the E/H ratio will be considerably
greater than 377 ohms if the antenna is much shorter than a half
wavelength. However, beyond a wavelength or so, the E/H ratio will be
very close to 377 ohms, and E and H will be in time phase. They'll be
oriented at a 90 degree angle with respect to each other in space, but
will be in time phase.

In the far field, the ratio of E to H (both magnitude and phase) are
dictated by the medium, not the antenna.

Anyone interested in investigating this can do so very easily with
EZNEC, even the demo version, using the near field analysis. It gives
both magnitude and phase of E and H fields at any point in space for any
antenna you can model.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL