Old April 16th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Fixed!

"Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in
message news
Should not have to fudge anything. The top and bottom
bands are good so the
Oscillator is good. The 5 mc band is off so there is a
bad part connected
to the band switch. Fix or replace. Fudging always
makes more problems.

I had an S-120 growing up
http://image08.webshots.com/8/8/80/8...3yhLWvj_fs.jpg
and later, S-38E for show.
http://www.woulfeman.com/Radio%20Hallicrafters.jpg
I was SWL long before I got around to the ham ticket.

JB was the closest. After fussing with it for another two
hours I started tracing the padders on each band. What I
found was very curios.

There was a rather original looking wire connected from
the band 2 osc trimmer (coil lug 20, see schematic) to one
of the antenna coils (tab O on the wafer switch). Why
that was put there? I have not a clue. Once I
disconnected the trimmer side of the wire the oscillator
snapped back into alignment range. It tweaked in at both
the 5Mc and 1.8Mc alignment points dead nuts on.

I desoldered the switch side of the jumper (tab O). The
joint looked rather factory and not owner installed.
Curious. The Trimmer side (coil lug 20) was definitely
messed with (short lead and burned insulation).

Ham owned gear. It's like a box of chocolates. Ya never
know what you will find.

Thanks to all for the comments. They did help focus me on
the band 2 circuit.

Paul P.

Congratulations!!! I was about to post another answer
because I find that only the S-38 had a padder on this band,
the S-38A and B have just the 2200 uuf fixed padder.
As you say, who knows what that person thought they were
doing.
If the owner plays around with chain saws I can
understand why you wanted to please him.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles