Old April 16th 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P[_2_] Paul P[_2_] is offline

Default S-38 Questions about alignment.

OK then I wasn't wrong about which band was the problem:-) However, in
the Rider's manual from Nostalgia Radio C-11 is shown as a fixed 2200 uuf
cap.
I also found a PDF of the original Hallicrafters handbook. This also
shows a 2200 uuf fixed cap in the padder position. The component numbers
are different from the Rider's sheets, in the Hallicrafter's book this cap
is called C-16 and is listed as a 600V mica. For band-2 the only
adjustment is the trimmer, C-21 (in the H book). If the low end is off or
if the entire band is off I suspect C-21 or else coil damage. The S-38
does have an adjustable padder for Band-2 but the S-38A and S-38B do not.
So, I suspect someone added the adjustable cap for some reason, perhaps
because of the problem you are having. Anyway. I would remove it, put a
2200 uuf mica cap there and see what you get. If the thing is still off
check the coils and value of the trimmer, maybe someone substituted it.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Richard,

Where did you find that manual?

As a side note, if you look at the Nostalgia Air schematic it does show a
padder on the band 2 position and it is bolted on the chassis with access
holes from the top. Band 2 does have a 1200pf cap in parallel with the
padder that is needed to align the 1.8Mc point. That cap is NOT depicted on
the schematic. The padder does look factory as do the holes, wires and bolt
through the chassis.

And thanks again for all the comments and help,

Thanks, Paul P.