Old April 16th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Fixed!

"Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in message
news
Should not have to fudge anything. The top and bottom bands are good so
the
Oscillator is good. The 5 mc band is off so there is a bad part

connected
to the band switch. Fix or replace. Fudging always makes more

problems.

I had an S-120 growing up
http://image08.webshots.com/8/8/80/8...3yhLWvj_fs.jpg
and later, S-38E for show.
http://www.woulfeman.com/Radio%20Hallicrafters.jpg
I was SWL long before I got around to the ham ticket.

JB was the closest. After fussing with it for another two hours I started
tracing the padders on each band. What I found was very curios.

There was a rather original looking wire connected from the band 2 osc
trimmer (coil lug 20, see schematic) to one of the antenna coils (tab O on
the wafer switch). Why that was put there? I have not a clue. Once I
disconnected the trimmer side of the wire the oscillator snapped back into
alignment range. It tweaked in at both the 5Mc and 1.8Mc alignment points
dead nuts on.

I desoldered the switch side of the jumper (tab O). The joint looked

rather
factory and not owner installed. Curious. The Trimmer side (coil lug 20)
was definitely messed with (short lead and burned insulation).

Ham owned gear. It's like a box of chocolates. Ya never know what you

will
find.

Thanks to all for the comments. They did help focus me on the band 2
circuit.

Paul P.

Occasionally I find some equipment that never worked from the factory and so
escaped much wear and tear, being passed from one shelf to another. After I
acquire it for a song, I find a quality control issue. I got my IFR that
way.