Old April 17th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Fixed: picture of the failure.

"Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in
message ...
The culprit:
http://www.ppinyot.com/H/Hallicrafte...8straywire.JPG

The rest of the story: http://www.ppinyot.com/s-38.htm

Paul P.

Aha... This is NOT an S-38B, its an S-38. The S-38
has an adjustable BFO, none of the later versions do. No
wonder the schematics seemed wrong, they _were_.

I opened my S-38 to double check and the wire you
indicate in the photo is NOT there so this was definitely
someone's add on. It would be interesing to trace this out
and try to figure out what they thought they were doing.

I have to get at my RX soon, needs a cleaning and some
new caps.
BTW does anyone know of a source for Hallicrafters
knobs of the right vintage for this RX and the S-40 series,
etc? I've had no success at all in trying to find any.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles