Old April 19th 09, 01:51 PM posted to alt.radio.family,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,misc.legal,alt.politics
richard[_3_] richard[_3_] is offline

Default cb radio in Canada

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:00:14 -0700 (PDT), radioguy
wrote:

call someone else on the telephone the same as a cell phone.

There are NO inputs on a CB radio like you think there is.

so no one using a cb radio has to make any inputs to it in any way
shape or form.

and many other misconceptions you have about it and them.

Of course, next you'll probably say to use vox on CB and ham radio.

that is also AGAINST FEDERAL LAW.

And both CBers and hams can be fined by the federal government for
using vox since unlike with a cell phone that you think is the exact
same thing as a cb and ham radio, using vox keeps the cb and ham
transmitters constantly transmitting from hearing all the sounds
around them, which is a BIG NO-NO UNDER FEDERAL LAW

Of course you dismiss that since you say new york state overrules
federal law.

that STILL doesn't stop the federal government from fining hams for
obeying your new york state law a bunch of money they can't afford.

Totally frickin wrong on all accounts.

Federal law supercedes any like state law.
If a federal law says it is legal, no state may make it illegal.
And vice versa.

Ham radio license plates are issued by many states as vanity plates.
Anyone can drive these vehicles without the requirement of having a
ham radio in the vehicle.

IIRC the NY law says, "NO hand held devices". As most CB's are dash
mounted, they would not meet the law. VOX stands for voice operated,
which means in most cases, a driver would be wearing a headset and
thus not have anything in his hands. VOX is perfectly legal under
federal law.

Cell phones are full duplex. Hsm radios and CBs are simplex. Only one
side of a conversation can be transmitted at the same time.

Vox would keep a ham radio and CB constantly transmitting even when no
one is talking since it would hear external sounds like outside music,
or just street noise, or the car's heater or air conditioner,

wrong!
Vox mikes are designed NOT to pick up and operate with any noise other
than the operator's voice.

that is against federal law. And both cbers and hams can be fined for
it.

Show me. Please post a link to the precise law you speak of.

Since it's allowed on cell phones and cell phones are full duplex, it
doesn't matter since both sides csn transmit at the same time.

So a CB, ham radio, and cell phone are NOT all the exact same thing
like some of the people and cops think.

Most modern portable ham radios also have external mikes, much like
police units do.

That is true,

So I do not believe one would be cited under the NY
law.

That's what I thought. They keep telling me it's illegal to drive and
talk with a microphone because "a CB radio and ham radio are boththe
exact same thing as a cell phone"

Wrong explanation. The law says, "handheld devices". So technically,
having a mike in your hand is illegal.

and that "it's illegal because reaching for and dialing the phone
number inputs on your cb radio and ham radio to make your phone calls
causes accidents which is why new york state outlawed using them while
driving."

I'd be laughing except I know there are many cops who do think that
way. And don't know the difference between a CB radio, ham radio, and
a cell phone.

Or the laws regarding them.

At least the cops in my area are good, and I think probably
knowledgable.

Although I can't say the same for the idiots in the next county.

Who thought my cb radio was a ham radio and asked me if I had a
license for it. Then after I told him it's a CB, not a ham radio, e
said that by law, I still need a ham radio license to legally operate
a CB radio.

If cited for that reason, the case can be dismissed because no license
is required for CB.
That myth was started because various states have laws against use of
scanning radios in the vehicle. That is, a ham license makes
everything legal. Sorry, no it does not.

which ham radio license must show that I am legally allowed to use
those particular CB frequencies.

None. Amateur radio frequencies are not inclusive of the CB
frequencies.

And that's not the only time I had a radio problem with the idiot law
enforcement officers in the next county over.

They even thought a radio/TV recieve only unit was a two way radio and
told me I wasn't allowed to have it because it's against the law for
the public to have two-way radios to talk on.

Ask those officers which walmart they their got badge from.

I'd like to see them call their backup on the am/fm broadcast radio/
vhf/uhf tv reciever, and then wonder where the backup they requested
is.

And that was when I was outdoor on foot. Just watching and listening
to it.

Officer? With all due respect, are you really this ****ing stupid or
did that badge make you that way?