Old October 1st 03, 06:07 AM

michael wrote:

WARNING: YOU CANNOT
TRICKLE-CHARGE NIMH CELLS!

Of course you can! I suspect you left off the word
"indefinitely".

I've been trickle charging NiMh's successfully for years.
A properly designed, time limited trickle charger works just
fine on NiMh. What you should not do is leave NiMh's on trickle
charge indefinitely. Some manufacturers claim you can leave NiMh's
on trickle charge for up to a year! See the following quotes:

"Charge your batteries fully, and then leave them in the charger
to maintain a continued full charge condition and your batteries
will always be ready for use. (Nexcell or GP brand NiMH batteries
can be left on trickle charge for up to a year with no damage to
the cells!)"
from: http://www.mahaenergy.com/download/mhc204freview.pdf

"Star Batteries sells only the highest quality NiMH rechargeable
batteries available. All of our batteries:

Meet or exceed their labeled mAh ratings.
Have a "button" top to fit perfectly into your device
Are compatible with "fast" chargers
Will accept a "trickle" charge without damaging your batteries"
from:http://shop.store.yahoo.com/starbatt...1mahaanir.html

"Fast Charging: All our NiMH series can be fast charged at rates
from 0.5C to 1C. Fast charge termination measures should be
employed. These include: Temperature Cut-Off ( TCO ), Rate-of-
temperature rise (dT/dt ), negative Delta V ( -dV ). A timer
control set at 105% of nominal capacity can be used as an
additional protection.
For maximum capacity, a trickle charge can be applied after
fast charging. We recommend top-off trickle charging at 0.1C
for 2 hours or 0.2C for 1 hour."
from: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/nimhbattery-faq.htm