Old October 5th 03, 08:39 PM
Roy Lewallen

Perhaps. If I were going to measure a Yagi against a dipole, I'd first
try measuring a Yagi with known gain against a dipole. You might prefer
to measure a dipole relative to a dipole. I can't see what you'd learn
from it, but each to his own.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Ed Price wrote:

I thought that NIST prefers a dipole antenna up to 1 GHz, and then a
waveguide-fed horn beyond that. I would think that a pyramidal horn would be
more predictable that a Yagi, and not unreasonably large, even for 400 MHz.
Plus, the construction is simpler, and the design is more robust over time
(i.e., it's easy to bend a Yagi element slightly, not enough to notice it,
but enough to shift performance).

Ed
WB6WSN