Old October 6th 03, 05:54 PM
Joel Kolstad

Bill Janssen wrote:
I would suggest using a shielded loop antenna to help with the local
noise problem.
The loop is directional so it could be oriented to reduce at least one
source of noise.

I was planning to use a coil wound on a ferrite bar core to reduce the
overall size of the antenna, but the web does show people successfully using
large 'air core' loops, as you've suggested. I was thinking of shielding
the ferrite bar antenna by placing it in something along the lines of a
copper pipe with the edge slitted, but apparently it might be bet to enclose
the antenna in a U-shaped piece of metal, such that, oh, say, 1/4 of the
broadside of the antenna is still exposed? I'm not sure why this should
matter, though?

---Joel