Old May 4th 09, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

Default A DTV antenna

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in
:

"Gordon" wrote in message

snip

That's the thing. I don't have room for a ginormus
antenna.

... but since you've built a small antenna and it's working, you may
have options for _placement_ that will enhance your reception further.
It may work better at one east-facing window than another and it may
work best at a particular height off the floor at that "better
window." (Outside TV antennas are sometimes installed after one guy
walks the roof with the antenna on a stick, while somebody else
monitors the signal; the antenna is finally mounted when they pick
the "sweet spot," like on a tennis racket.)

Adding coaxial cable usually reduces the signal, but if your "better
window" only requires a smidgeon more of coax, maybe you should try
it.

I don't have any east facing windows. I did take the antenna outside
and put it up on a pole. Just as an experiment. I was not able to
get much better performance. But it was only 6 or 7 feet high.
I supose I could add another element. It would be a cheap enough
experiment. Eliminating the coax is a real possibility.