Old May 4th 09, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
noname[_3_] noname[_3_] is offline

Default Station With Center-Fed Dipole - Best Grounding Technique?

Thanks for the replies, Dave, Rick, and Jim. Since my ideas didn't go
over so well, perhaps it's best to just describe my setup and then
listen to any suggestions. Since I'm not an electrical engineer, do
try to keep things simple.

As I said earlier, the radio and speaker are both connected to the
house ground through their power cords. I've also installed an
inverted V dipole in the back yard (the only place it will fit). The
center (feedpoint) of the antenna is attached to the roof on the
second floor (about twenty feet above the ground) and the two ends run
out to the two corners of the backyard. That's the best I can
accomplish given local antenna restrictions.

My house is located on a hill with a top floor entrance and living
area. Below that is another floor level with the backyard, with a
basement below that.

The radio will be located in the living room on the top floor, again
one floor above the backyard. The coax (RG-8X) will run out a window
on the second floor to the center (feedpoint) of the antenna attached
to the roof just outside (a run of roughly 15-ft).

Now, where (if any) should I add grounding to that setup? I was going
to add a lightning arrester to the coax just before it enters the
house (fed into two ground rods), but will forego that since none seem
overly thrilled about the idea.

By the way, a Yeasu technician once recommended salting ground rods to
resolve a poor grounding situation at the time, so I've been doing
that ever since (can't hurt), especially during the dry summer months.
Adding water is pretty obvious, so didn't think I needed to spell that
out, Dave.

stewart / w5net