Old May 4th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default HCJB Stuff

"Bushcraftgregg" wrote in message
Good post Telamon. I flipped the first time I heard them also, great
show and real quality programming. I couldn't believe I was hearing
this station "from the Andes".....though I wasn't quite sure exactly
where it was so I checked out their QTH on my wall map.

Of course I just had to write them being a newbie, with a very excited
written letter and a post card of Cincinnati and one from my village
and within a month I got my QSL card along with a handwritten letter
from a fella in the station telling me to be on the look out - - that
I would be receiving something else from the station.

I received a box, in between a small and medium size package that had
all kinds of goodies in them. From what I remember, there was a small
calendar and a big calendar. Literature on the history of the station
and Quito, Ecuador itself. Three pennants, two small ones and one
extremely big one IMO - like the pennants of baseball teams. Either
two or three pens and a little pad of stationary from the station, I
think I may be missing one other thing but I can't think of it.

Somewhere in my skunkworks, I still have an HCJB pennant and program guide.
I can't remember the name of the program (it was a DX specific program), but
I do know that it is no longer run on HCJB, they stopped it a few years
after I got the pennant. I also have a nice tape sent at the same time of
music of the Andes. I wish my brain still worked, and I could remember the
name of the person I corresponded with at the time.. it's hell getting
older.