Old May 5th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default HCJB Stuff

In article
,
Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On May 3, 7:31*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*Mike wrote:
On May 3, 6:32?pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:

Voice of the Andes was like WWV to me,
another beacon of a signal,
always used as a reference on the drifty old analog dial.

Yeah, Bob, I think it was the first station I heard when my parents
gave me my first SW portable back 1967. HCJB English religious
programming was the strongest signal, as I remember. It was enough to
really stoke my curiosity. I found a DX column in some popular tech
magazine at the library and was ordering my first WRTH from Gilfer by
1968.

Listening to HCJB's current limited lineup of Spanish (along with some
Portuguese and German) programming just isn't the same.

Like Steve, I think some of the old pennants would be really cool.

As a teenager I came across a busted SW tube radio, did a little work on
it and put up a horizontal long wire in the backyard. The first time it
fired up I had HCJB on it all the way from Quito Ecuador. I was floored.
I could not believe I had a radio that got a signal from that far away.
I had family members listen and nobody else thought it was that big a
deal.

Good post Telamon. I flipped the first time I heard them also, great
show and real quality programming. I couldn't believe I was hearing
this station "from the Andes".....though I wasn't quite sure exactly
where it was so I checked out their QTH on my wall map.

Of course I just had to write them being a newbie, with a very excited
written letter and a post card of Cincinnati and one from my village
and within a month I got my QSL card along with a handwritten letter
from a fella in the station telling me to be on the look out - - that
I would be receiving something else from the station.

I received a box, in between a small and medium size package that had
all kinds of goodies in them. From what I remember, there was a small
calendar and a big calendar. Literature on the history of the station
and Quito, Ecuador itself. Three pennants, two small ones and one
extremely big one IMO - like the pennants of baseball teams. Either
two or three pens and a little pad of stationary from the station, I
think I may be missing one other thing but I can't think of it.

I've never mailed reports for QSL cards. It must be nice to have those
physical reminders of the good times in the past.

HCJB always had this corny serial called unshackled. I ended up
listening to a number of them just to hear that organ music.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California