Old May 5th 09, 05:18 AM
Iitoi Iitoi is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHM View Post

Should a 08 with an Infinity system receive signals in the 2.5 mV/m range without any problems? Should it receive signals in the .5 mV/m range without any problems? How about at .15 mV/m? I’m not getting good reception within the 2.5 mV/m range. (Note: I understand AM reception fluctuates with the weather and nearby interference, but I’m not talking about that.) At about what signal strength (mV/m) should I start to experience issues since in some cases there is a large gap between the 2.5 mV/m and .5 mV/m contours?

The dealer has been trying to tell me that since few people listens to AM anymore, the stations haven’t invested to keep their signal strength up to the max and nobody gets good reception anymore. They are also telling me that HD radio is causing the problem but I’m experiencing the problem across the dial and the symptoms don’t match what I’ve found on the internet. I’ve been amazed that they can make statements like that with a straight face.

It should be noted that I get more noise on the radio when tuned to a weak signal with the engine on but it’s not the high pitch noise that changes with engine speed. I also get additional noise sometimes when passing under residential power lines. I’m not talking large power distribution lines, I’m talking about local neighborhood power lines.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Your radio system has a problem, and your dealer is blowing you off.

You should copy signals in the .5 mv range with only minor "static".

Try a different dealer.
The Man in the Maze
QRV at Baboquivari Peak