Old May 6th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
noname[_3_] noname[_3_] is offline

Default Station With Center-Fed Dipole - Best Grounding Technique?

Tom Ring wrote:

He's feeding it with coax, so it's not just a good idea, it's
required.

The antenna is balanced, the feedline is not. He stated the
feedline is RG-8X.

The assembly instructions for the antenna say...

The antenna is "..designed to be used with
50 ohm coax cable. No balun is required for
proper operation.

If RF on the coax is a problem, simply wind
a "choke balun" with the coax that's used for
your feedline. Wind approx 8 turns, at about
an 8 inch diameter and tape (with outdoor rated
black electrical tape), like a donut, and place
this "donut" near the feedpoint of the antenna.
You should leave about 2 foot of your coax
sticking out of this "donut" for connection to
the antenna. Then attach the end of your
coax to the antenna connector on the center
insulator, with the coax connector that is
already on your feed line."

In other words, a scramble-winding choke near the antenna's feedpoint,
which I'll add if RF becomes an issue. As stated in my first message
("don't believe RF is an issue with a dipole," which should probably
read "major issue"), I'm much more concerned with safety and lightning
protection.

stewart / w5net