Old May 6th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
noname[_3_] noname[_3_] is offline

Default Station With Center-Fed Dipole - Best Grounding Technique?

Richard Clark wrote:

Hi Steve,

I assume you're talking to me since you replied to my message. My name
is Stewart, not Steve.

So, in fact your three prong plugs find their way to the
panel ground. Can YOU find that ground?

I don't understand your question. The radio chassis is grounded to the
wall outlet. The overall house wiring was recently inspected, with the
grounding checked at that time. It was a thorough inspection which
also included a device plugged into most outlets to check the wiring.
Given that, I don't really know what I'm supposed to find and why.

So, by this explicit statement, your "balanced" antenna
has been unbalanced at the rig (which only further enforces
the unbalance by virtue of the coax connection).

I guess so. Actually, I don't really know. The radio was manufactured
with the chassis grounded to the wall outlet and the antenna was
designed by it's manufacturer to work properly with 50 ohm coax feed
connected (I would assume) to a radio like this. What impact that has
on balanced versus unbalanced is beyond me, and the same is true for
what exactly you want me to do about it.

stewart / w5net