Old May 6th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Looking for a good Shortwave radio

In article
,
MikeM wrote:

On May 4, 10:51*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*MikeM wrote:
On May 4, 11:05*am, msg wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On May 3, 3:16 pm, MikeM wrote:

*I am looking for a good table top type SW receiver. *I am
thinking
new or used at about $1000. Recommendations of receivers and
where to get one from a reliable seller are welcome.
Not to say you aren't telling the truth Mike McM, but it always
cracks me up when someone posts (to of all places) here in RRS
when "they are looking for a receiver".....and eight out of ten
times it is always in the range of something like you stated or
more.....lol.

snip

Raises a valid point however... There is no useful FAQ for this
N.G.; such a document, updated regularly, with comprehensive
reviews of specs and performance data for boatanchor and modern
receivers would permit readers to make informed purchasing
decisions. *The O.P. also asked for recommendations on the
integrity of sellers; this is a valid question, and answers other
than 'Universal Radio' would likely be welcomed by many readers.
Certainly there are printed resources, commercial websites and
archived N.G. threads that with effort would yield some data, but
an effort to create a useful FAQ should be undertaken IMHO as a
centralized resource for promoting the radio art and best
practices.

Regards,

Michael

Hi, Forget the request on my post I got a good receiver from
Universal Radio.

Hey Mike, what did you get? What model? New or used?

I got a used JRC NRD 525. from Universal

That's a fine radio. Let us know how you do with it by posting here. Be
sure to put up a good antenna. A good antenna is as important as the
radio.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California